The International Conference on Uncertainty in Risk Analysis brings together internationally recognised leaders in theoretical and applied uncertainty analysis with a focus on the areas of food safety, environmental health, occupational health, animal health and plant health.
The conference will be a forum for discussing the science behind uncertainty analysis and show case of best practices in conducting and communicating uncertainty analysis as well as for addressing uncertainty in decision making.
Networking and sharing experience at the conference is anticipated to enhance the mutual understanding and interaction of partners in risk analysis and support and enhance the practice of uncertainty analysis.
The conference is a two-day event with preconference workshops and will be composed of invited and submitted talks, poster sessions and interactive sessions.
It will feature a wide range of topics including:
- Uncertainty from a cognitive science point of view (cognitive perspective on belief; knowledge and uncertainty; epistemic logic; cognitive biases; perspectives of philosophy and psychology)
- Methods for uncertainty analysis (judgements; subjective probabilities; qualitative, quantitative and tiered approaches; uncertainty in evidence from individual and aggregated studies; systematic review; publication bias; lack of reproducibility; weight of evidence; sensitivity analysis)
- Communication of uncertainties (documentation and visualisation of uncertainties; perception of risk and uncertainty; target-oriented communication; education; lessons-learnt; dealing with fear and mistrust; communication strategies)
- Accounting for uncertainty in decision making (impact on risk management and regulation; decision theory; lessons-learnt; precautionary principle)
- Dialogues on uncertainty in an open society (knowledge brokering; roles of players in science, management, politics, democracy, stakeholders; global governance; conflicting interests; instrumentalisation of uncertainties; reproducibility crisis)
Submission of workshop proposals and abstracts:
Workshop proposals and abstracts can be submitted online until October 21, 2018.
Submission of abstracts for oral or poster presentations
Submission of workshop proposals
Conference website at EFSA
German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (directions)
Diedersdorfer Weg 1
A limited number of rooms were blocked till January 23 at the Hotel Steglitz International. Please mention the keyword "BfR2019" when making your booking.
European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR)
2nd Announcement - Register Now!
1st Announcement - Save the Date